Rose Stone Collection of Allerton Artifacts AC4
- 1650 - 1700
6 boxes (Metal items, including tools and nails; glass and ceramic shards; pipe fragments; native artifacts; shells; bricks and brick fragments.)
1 item (Exhibit sign 1976)
Language of Materials
The collection includes 121 items, most of which are fragments of Native American pottery, ceramic, glass, brick, metal and other materials. These items were excavated under the direction of James Deetz of Plimoth Plantation during a 1972 archaeological dig at 17 Spring Street in Kingston. The site was a house then under construction by Orfeo Sgarzi. The bulk of the artifacts retrieved went to Plimoth Plantation and remain in their museum collection, but those now at the Library remained on display in the house for over 30 years.
On Octobe 15, 2004, Rose Wind Stone, who owned the property from 1993 to 2004 gave the collection to the Frederic C. Adams Heritage Center -- a town entity proposed by the Heritage Center Development Committee (previously the F.C. Adams Building Use Committee, established by Town Meeting in 1995) but never actually established. The Kingston Public Library Archivist accepted the donation on behalf of the Heritage Center, using the a modified version of the Deed of Gift and Receipt of Gift forms used for donations to the Local History Room.
The collection has been kept in the Local History Room, available by request and used occasionally in exhibits.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Kingston Public Library Local History Collections Repository
33 Summer Street
Kingston MA 02364 United States