Evergreen Cemetery Association Collection PC24
Scope and Contents
The Evergreen Cemetery Collection consists of reconds of lots sold, and in some cases, transferred back to the KECA, then resold. The majority of the Collection comprises bound volumes of deeds and interments, which contain hundreds of signatures of Kingston residents. Two of the interment volumes and one volume of deeds have been partially transcribed to allow local searching by name, deed and/or lot number and date.
The photograph series contains 49 images of the cemetery taken in 1916.
- 1854 to 2003
Biographical / Historical
The Kingston Evergreen Cemetery Association is a voluntary group founded in 1853 to create a cemetery for Kingston to replace the Old Burying Ground which had served the Town since 1717. The KECA (as they are currently known) acquired the original hilly site between Green and Evergreen Streets in 1853, then extended the grounds to the west in 1887 and again to the east in 1895.
The first interment was Julia D. Parris, widow of Reverend Martin Parris. She died June 17, 1854. Two days later, a great thunderstorm struck during her service. Lightning struck several trees in the Cemetery, dwellings were damaged and the spire of the new First Parish Church was shattered, stopping the clock.
In 1936, Thomas Prince of Oregon left $20,000 to the cemetery for a memorial. The Prince Memorial Chapel was built and dedicated in 1956.
The Trustees of Evergreen Cemetery incorporated in 1942. The KECA members met annually to elect trustees, chairman, secretary-treasurer, and a five-person executive board which set management and maintenance policies.
Evergreen Cemetery is separate from the Old Burying Ground, which was established in 1717. The Old Burying Ground covers 3.7 acres fronting Main and Green Streets.
1 Folder, oversized
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Kingston Public Library Local History Collections Repository
33 Summer Street
Kingston MA 02364 United States